Sunday, May 04, 2008
Going to California
Readers of this blog with long memories may recall this post, in which I offered my services as a 40-year-old intern for the summer of 2008. I'm happy to report that The Los Angeles Times has taken me up on the offer.

I will work on the paper's Web site from mid-May to early July, editing and writing. My plan is to refresh my skills and pick up some new ones. I hope that my six weeks in the newsroom this summer will improve my work in the classroom this fall (and beyond) as I continue to beef up the online element of my courses.

Thanks to Deirdre Edgar and Eric Ulken at the Times for encouraging me to pursue this opportunity and to Daniel Gaines and Henry Fuhrmann for making it happen.

UPDATE: Here is a look at the state of the Times and its outlook, including its Web site.
 
posted by Andy Bechtel at 4:04 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Karen Miller Russell

    What a great idea, and awesome opportunity. I hope you'll keep us posted!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger gregflynn

    I assume you've seen the LA Times Vision

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Andy Bechtel

    Thanks to all for the kind comments.

    Gregflynn, I did aim to work at a news Web site that is on the forefront, and I think the LAT is there, which is why I am grateful for the opportunity.

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Jim Thomsen

    So, does this mean you'll have to fetch coffee for your 24-year-old supervisor?

    Jim Thomsen
    http://jimthomsen.wordpress.com/